Source: Duvar English, 13.10.2020

Turkish prosecutors are seeking an aggravated life sentence and an additional 20 years in prison for Osman Kavala in a second indictment filed against the renowned philanrophist on “attempting to overthrow the Constitutional order” and “espionage charges.” The indictment includes claims that Kavala organized the 2013 Gezi Park protests — allegations of which he was cleared back in February.

Prof. Ayşe Buğra who is married to Osman Kavala has said that she, her husband and his mother are dealing with torture. “As a citizen of this country, I am addressing not only the press and the public, but also the representatives of the nation in parliament. I think my situation and that of my husband’s mother should concern the women representatives of all political parties,” Buğra said. “I would like one to consider the effect that the accusation of espionage has on a person and their family. I am very confused and angry.”

“As a citizen of this country, I am addressing not only the press and the public, but also the representatives of the nation in parliament. I think my situation and that of my husband’s mother should concern the women representatives of all political parties,” she added.

Kavala was accused of being one of the “managers and organizers” of the 2013 Gezi Park protests, which took place in Istanbul’s Taksim district following a harsh government response to a group of protesters trying to prevent the cutting down of trees for a large development project planned by the government. Just hours after being acquitted in the Gezi Park case earlier this year, Kavala was re-arrested late on Feb. 19 on charges related to the failed 2016 military coup. 

Like the Gezi Park indictment, which was blasted for its ludicrous format and lack of any real evidence, lawyers for Kavala say that the latest indictment against him also is absent of actual evidence.